Since schools shut down two weeks ago we as learners have been faced with a new kind of learning, exclusively online. As a university student who spends most of her waking hours on her laptop, it truly is not s difficult transition. However, for those primary students who are still learning the ins and out of being a student, I commend teachers are their efforts to keeps students on track and connected with there education. I have teacher friends that have a daily schedule of face timing their students and connect with both the parents and the student to ensure that any questions, concerns, and confusion is cleared up. I feel like especially for K-3 this is an extremely piece of maintaining the daily routine that students have spent all year creating. I have also seen PHE classes being delivered online by teachers, they work on stretches and stationary exercises that students can follow along with on their home computers or phones. This is another phenomenal effort by BC teachers, and it gives me so much hope that if there is ever another crisis like the one we are currently in that teachers will another tool in their arsenal. Adapting education to an online space takes a lot of effort, but I get the opportunity to take part in online education in my second practicum that commences on April 6th. I am going to take the tips and tricks that I have picked up from my teacher friends and adapt them to my lessons.

I know that we are in the midst of an epidemic, but the care and passion our teachers are displaying in a time of fear and uncertainty is unprecedented. It is so inspiring. This is what it means to be an educator. It is the acceptance of any challenge, it is handling any issue with as much grace and understanding as possible. It is never turning your back on a student or a co-worker. To be a teacher is to be adaptable and crafty. But most importantly it is loving your students. Amid a pandemic, I am reminded every day what it means to be a teacher, and further, solidify my passion and drive to one day be there on the front line.