Every moment from the beginning of the year until it’s early end there has been endless learning in AE 366 and 362. However, over the scope of my year, there have two moments in my education that have stopped me in my tracks and pushed me to revaluate my thinking. Visiting Kamloops Residential School in November was one of the moments in my life that has profoundly impacted me. Learning about the residential schools and the horror that occurred within the walls had always resonated deeply with, but hearing stories shared with permission from a residential school survivor was different. I checked my privilege that that day and since that day I have promised myself that in my teacher education and my life, I am going to build relationships and build on the foundation of the Truth and Reconciliation Act. Forging relationships with Indigenous families and providing a safe space for students and parents alike is a duty we all have as an educator. Every family regardless of background deserves a place to be heard, and a place of support and the classroom is the perfect place to start. A teacher is a piece of the foundation of a students’ life, and we need to offer each student a stable foundation to grow.

The other moment that sat heavily with me is the equity circle that Roxanne Letterlough and her mother Trish put on for us. Both women opened up with us and shared a vulnerable piece of themselves with us. Their stories. Their history. I won’t share details as it is not my business to, however, their words of education pushed us further other our path of becoming teachers. They shared ways to integrate Indigenous ways of thinking into the classroom, and they shared pieces from Indigenous students and the incredible talents they possess. After leaving the equity circle I felt uplifted and armed with tools to go forth and Indigenize my own life as well as education. It was these two occasions that truly pushed me to be better, not only in my future teaching practice but in my personal life. I wanted to live my life the way I would hope my students one day would. I educated myself, I bought literature, listened to Indigenous speakers, and asked questions. TRU’s Bachelor Education program has opened my eyes and shows me truly what it means to be a good teacher. The foundation of knowledge I am taking away from this year is far more massive than I ever anticipated but it is so much more than I had ever expected. I expected the fundamentals of assessment, and how to properly run a lap. But what I got was exposure to Indigenous dancing, thinking, perspective, and the importance of relationship and respect. Many fundamentals came in my learning, but these are the pieces that to me matter more. The pieces that are going to be integral in setting the tone of education in my future classroom. I am thankful to be leaving with these tools, and even more thankful to be returning to my second year with an open heart and a hungry mind.