St. John’s Ambulance Community Care First Aid:

I am certified with my Community Care first aid, which is directly designed for those individuals working in the community with either children or vulnerable adults. This is a requirement for my position as an employee for the YMCA I took the eight-hour course and passed the exam back in 2018 and am coming up for renewal of the certificate this year. In the span of having my certification my need to respond to injury has been limited, however, I am thankful every day for the knowledge to help anyone in need.

OFA- Occupational First Aid:

Another YMCA requirement is the OFA course. This one was centred heavily on accidents within the scope of aiding co-workers and other adults that may need first aid attention as well. Going into a career of teaching I feel as though it’s extremely important to be able to assist both students and faculty if the need ever arises. This is something I am going to maintain throughout my professional life as there will never be a time where having a first aid certification will not be helpful. I feel it is important for all teachers to get this if they can. Who knows, it may save a life one day.

Creative Writing Award:

I received an award and plaque for my exceptional marks in Creative Writing. It is an aspect of my life I cannot wait to integrate into the classroom. I am extremely passionate about creative writing, and one day I want to teach it at a high school level. Students that can work with their imaginations to write their fantasies, hopes, and dreams can reflect on themselves. In my own life as a student, I’ve been published twice and have written two novels and countless short stories. I found writing in a time where I felt very alone in my life, and it helped me find my way back into reality. Now only was I able to put my emotions and thoughts down on to paper to better deal with and interpret I was able to find the words when there had previously been none. It is extremely rewarding, and I cannot wait to be able to share it with my students.