Monika’s Teaching Philosophy

My aspirations as a teacher are to be a teacher that can provide not only a safe place for students to be their authentic selves but a place that celebrates the individualism of each child. I want my classroom to be a place of support and welcoming for parents and families to establish their role of being integral to their child’s education. In my future classroom I will ensure that I am not only a support system to the students, but to provide as much support for families that may face challenges that could potentially impact their child’s learning. No student should come to school stressed, or not cared for. My role as a teacher would be to alleviate stress to the best of my ability. Learning should be a space where each child can put forth their wonders and inquiries into the world and feel engaged and challenged to learn more. This learning would take place in many ways. It can take many forms, it can be through inquiry, hands-on, exploration, and play. Students should be allowed to work the way that suits them and their needs. Students should be allowed to move within the space of the classroom, and not feel constrained to their seat at a desk. Students should feel comfortable and secure in their learning and know that they will not be left behind if they are struggling. I am a lifelong learner, and I want to instil this mindset into my students and foster their passion and interest in the world around them.

“Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” (Malcolm X, 1964)

This quote stood out to me because of the passion Malcolm X felt toward the necessity of education. At the Organization of Afro-American Unity founding forum in 1964, he touched on how integral education is in regard to human rights and the discovery of one’s identity. (Allah, 2013) Malcolm X discussed his own relationship with education and felt he wanted to return to education within his lifetime. The quote above reads as being indicative of the future being filled with educated people if we as educators take the time to mould the minds of our students to prepare them to take on the world as they grow older. In relation to myself, this quote embodies Malcolm X’s words but goes so much further. I firmly believe that the exploration of self-identity and the ability to take the time to discover yourself is how we create educated, passionate, and informed citizens. But, education allows us to look back at the past, learn from mistakes and history, and better prepare the next generation for the future. We as educators have a duty to properly prepare our students to take on our ever-changing and growing world. Allowing students to explore themselves and their wonders through critical inquiry, project-based learned, and interest-based lessons will allow students to create deep connections within their learning to motivate themselves for the future. Furthermore, taking the time to create personal relationships with students will ensure that students feel connected and safe within the school environment, hopefully forging educational connections that will lead to post-secondary, trades work or other passions that arise from learning.