Responsible Adult Course:

In 2018 I completed a 20-hour Responsible Adult course that taught about working with children toddler-aged through to twelve years old. It was extremely insightful in learning about behaviour management, ways of getting children engaged and active, as well as taught about development through the years and what children are capable of. Before this, I felt very out of my element in behaviour management in particular because it varies so greatly between children of different ages and what works best with what children. After the twenty-hour course and a written exam were completed I was provided with a certificate of completion.

CPP & Advanced CPP training:

One aspect of the B-Ed program I have yet to encounter, and I hope there is some exposure to in my education is CPP training. CPP or Child Protection Policy is the framework of responsibility for reporting abuse to the Ministry of Child and Family Development (MCFD). This is something that I have been exposed to many times in my years with the YMCA and I am positive teachers have to face more frequently than expected. Having abuse disclosed to you by a child, or having suspicions of abuse in mind is a very serious occurrence, and as a responsible adult, it is your duty to report it for the welfare of the child. I am so very grateful to have the knowledge and channels in which I can report any information. Working with scenarios of abuse and unsafe behaviour has prepped me for the difficult conversations and issues that arise in my career. I feel as though this training is integral for any teacher entering the workforce as a TTOC or regular classroom teacher. Maintaining confidentiality and a respectful distance is imperative and until my training, I was not aware of the repercussions these situations could have.

Building Bridges Through Understanding Workshop:

Part of my position with the YMCA requires staff to have 20 hours of professional development a year. In my position, I was able to attend a workshop about integration and incorporating Indigenous ways of thinking into my afterschool care and summer camp programs. I was able to gain an arsenal of games, resources for songs, and contacts to help with providing the knowledge required for integrating FPPL into rec programs. It was extremely helpful and was eye-opening into how lacking rec programs are in providing connections to Indigenous thought. As our program has, this workshop also highlighted the intergenerational effects on colonization and helped to provide a means of conversation between Indigenous families to ensure they feel welcomed, cared for, and supported in our programs.